Contributed by Chintal Patel, founder of @drchintalskitchen
I am a doctor, a mum, a passionate cook and healthy living believer. I come from an Indian background where food has always been a huge part of my life. I started helping in the kitchen at a young age and have been independently cooking from age 10. I genuinely love creating recipes, using ingredients to expand my children’s tastes and encouraging them to form healthy relationships with food from an early age. I believe food doesn’t need to be expensive or complicated to be healthy and delicious. I believe in using good wholesome ingredients.
This is a delicious easy curry suitable for the whole family (6 months +) and on the table in under 20 mins. Budget friendly, vegan and super nutritious, this is one of our favourite family meals and is on repeat in my kitchen. It’s also a great dish for batch cooking - I always make double and freeze half for a rainy day.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
· 2 tins of chickpeas in water
· 250gms baby spinach leaves
· 70gms tomato puree
· 400ml tin coconut cream
· large handful fresh coriander - chopped
· 1 red onion - finely chopped
· 4 cloves garlic - minced
· thumb sized piece of ginger - minced
· 1 tablespoon oil
· 1 tsp cumin seeds
· 4-5 black cardamoms (optional but adds a smoky flavour)
· 2 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 tsp cumin/coriander powder
·1. Fry the onion in the oil until turning brown. Add the cardamoms, cumin seeds, garlic, ginger & chillies (if using) and stir on. a medium heat, be careful not to burn the garlic.
2. Add tomato puree & mix well. Add the drained chickpeas, mix well.
3. Add the turmeric and cumin/coriander powder then add a little water (1/2 cup) to adjust thr consistency and let this cook for a few minutes.
4. Add the spinach, chopped coriander & coconut cream. Allow the spinach to wilt & stir well.
Serve right away!